Thursday, January 17, 2008

Masjid Jamae Chulia at South Bridge Road


Masjid Jamae Chulia
Originally uploaded by LilMudPie
I've been going to this mosque for daily prayers as well as for Friday prayers as it is the nearest to my office. It is all in Tamil, which I dont understand a word of. It is a very old mosque, built by the very first generation of immigrants, and stands right next to a famous Hindu temple. This mosque is the centre for Tamil Muslim culture and learning in Singapore. Although located along a very busy street, the walls prevent the noise from coming into the mosque itself, so it is quite serene inside. A little dilapidated, and needs to be more woman-friendly, in my view. Lots of tourists come in to see what a mosque looks like. I guess for many of them it would be the first contact with Islam.

No comments: